Why and How to Register a .CPA Domain
If you're a public accountant or part of an accounting firm, you may be aware that a new corner of the internet is about to be opened for the accounting profession. The .CPA top level domain will soon be available for you to register. That means you'll have the opportunity to secure and use YOURCOMPANY.cpa for your website, email addresses and other digital touchpoints. But look out! Because the early application deadline is Saturday, October 31, 2020. The general availability phase will start on January 15, 2021. It could be a bit of a land grab, so if you have any interest in this specialized type of domain name for your practice or firm, you'll want to secure it quickly.
Benefits of registering a .CPA domain name
There are several benefits to having your own .CPA domain name. Here are just a few:
You can reduce the risk of fraud.
Registering a dedicated .CPA domain name has more stringent requirements than a more common .com or .net domain. In fact, only accounting firms can register for .CPA domain names, making it much more difficult for fraudsters to set up phishing and other types of online scams using your business name.
You can create more trust for your firm and practice.
The .CPA domain name is administered and governed by the AICPA (Association of International Certified Professional Accountants). That means your .CPA will indicate your firm has been verified by a key organization for accounting firms and professionals.
You can potentially secure a domain name that is both easier to market and easier to remember.
Because .CPA domains are now opening up for the first time, it will be easier to get a short, yet still unique domain name. For example, instead of DunderMifflinAccounting.com, you may be able to register DunderMifflin.cpa or similar.
You will be seen as digitally progressive.
By adopting the new domain name standard your firm will be able to better position itself at the forefront of technology advances, a characteristic that is increasingly top-of-mind for businesses and individuals seeking accounting and finance services.
How to register your .CPA domain name
Because .CPA domains will be for accounting firms only, there are several application steps to keep in mind. Here are the basic steps:
- You must apply for your .CPA domain at https://register.domains.cpa/apply-now/
- Once your application is approved and access to the domain name is provided to you, you must redirect the domain name to your current website within one month.
- Within a year, you must use the domain name for an active, branded website of your firm. Note, however, that this doesn't necessarily need to be your firms primary website.
- Also within a year of successful registration, you must utilize the .CPA domain for your firm's email addresses. You are permitted and encourage to keep your firm's existing email addresses intact. Think of the .CPA email addresses as a shadow address for your existing email addresses, or vice versa.
- The aforementioned activation requirements are only for firms registering in the early application phase. There are also exceptions for domains that are generally associated with trademarks already registered by your firm.
For more information and FAQs on .CPA requirements visit https://register.domains.cpa/faqs/
Interested in helping your firm or clients advance their digital accounting and finance strategies?
Schedule a demo of our award-winning Accounts Receivable Automation Software: